Ask About Academics...
- What majors or programs do you offer?
- What is the average length of your programs?
- What percentage of your students graduate?
- Do you have internship programs?
- Will I have an advisor to help me with scheduling?
- How difficult is it to get the schedule I need?
- Is tutoring available?
Ask About Admissions...
- Do you have an enrollment deadline?
- What standards do you use for acceptance?
- Do I need to take an admissions exam?
- When may I tour the campus?
Ask About Financial Aid...
- What type of financial aid is available?
- How do I apply for financial aid?
- Do you have a financial aid deadline?
- Are there scholarships available through your college?
- What is the total cost of my program including books, fees & tuition?
Ask About Student Life...
- What type of housing is available?
- How many students are enrolled at your college?
- What is the average class size? What is the largest?
- Is there ample parking? How much does it cost?
- Do you have student organizations, socials, and activities?
Ask About Job Placement Assistance...
- What type of job placement assistance do you offer?
- Do you offer part-time job assistance?
- What kinds of campus jobs are available for first-year students?
- What is your placement rate?
- What types of jobs are your graduates getting?
Ask About Technology...
- What type of computer training is offered?
- What equipment & software do you currently use?
- Does each student have access to a computer during class time?
- Can I take any of my classes online?
- Will I have access to the Intranet & e-mail?
When you talk to students, ask...
- How many hours a week do you study? Is that typical here?
- Are faculty members interested in students and accessible outside of class?
- Do many students go home on weekends?
- Are the athletic facilities open to all students or only to athletes?
- Is it possible to study in your dorm room?
- Is the food good?
- >Are campus jobs readily available?
- Is there easy access to computers? Where are they located?
- What's the library like as a place to study? To do research?
- What do you like most about this college? Least?
- How easy is it to get the classes you want?
- If you could change something about this school, what would it be?
If you attend a class, ask yourself...
- Are students prepared for the class? Do they seem interested in the material?
- Do I feel that the students are learning - either new facts or new ways of thinking about a subject?
- Is there time for questions and discussion? Do students participate?
- Am I intellectually challenged by what is taking place in the class?
- Is there good rapport between professors and students?
As you tour the campus, ask yourself...
- Are the buildings in good repair and are the grounds well-kept?
- Are the residence halls pleasant and quiet enough to study in? Are there laundry and kitchen facilities?
- What's the cafeteria like?
- Are computers and lab equipment up-to-date and plentiful?
- What's the surrounding town or city like?
- If you are interested in any extra-curricular activities ask about them and try to see the facilities.
In an interview or information session, you could ask...
- Does the college have academic programs that fit my interests?
- Where are computer terminals located? Will I have to pay extra for computer time?
- Will I have access to special equipment (such as an electron microscope) as a first-year student?
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of the college's advising system?
- How many students will there be in courses I'm likely to take in my first year? Are those courses taught by professors or graduate assistants?
- Will there be any new programs or facilities in the next two years?
After the visit…write down your impressions
- Were the people you met friendly? Did they answer your questions fully and candidly?
- What do you think of the quality of instruction and the academic atmosphere?
- Were the students the kind of people you'd like to get to know?
- Did you like the social atmosphere?
- Would you like to spend more time there?